Five things you didn't know about the Lone Star State
Moving to a new state can be very exciting. It is your chance to learn all about the history, people and culture an area has to offer. If you have recently moved into one of the homes for sale in Houston, check out this list of things you might not know about the Lone Star State, as you're new to Texas.
1. Texas has one of the largest populations of cattle in the country with an estimated 16 million calling this state home. For this reason, more wool comes from here than another other state.
2. It's the best state to make friends, as its name makes clear. The word Texas comes from the Hasinai Indian word, tejas, meaning friends and "Friendship" is the state motto.
3. Texas is home to the one WNBA team in the country to win four back-to-back championships. The Houston Comets won each tournament from 1997 to 2000.
4. Dr Pepper was invented here in 1885. The original recipe called for a sugar cane that was only available in the state.
5. Everything is bigger in Texas. So much so that its 267,339 square miles comprise a whopping 7.4 percent of the country's total area.